Total Pageviews

Friday, February 5, 2016

[Trailer] DON CHEADLE's "MILES AHEAD"


Anyone who knows me well know that for the past six months or so I've listened way more to jazz related music than hip-hop, but when I say jazz I am also including real heavy shit like this and this (the latter is one of the greatest performances of all time, up there with Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock, Wu-Tang Clan at Hultsfred '97 or Aftermath's '99 Up in Smoke Tour if you want some hip hop parallels). Saying that Miles Davis has become the true musical god in my household for the last months, I've listened to his music for many years but I totally snowed in on his work lately and I'm willing to take up anyone willing to debate against my statement that Miles is the best artist who ever worked in music, any and all categories/genres.

Now Don Cheadle ("Boogie Nights", "Ocean's Eleven", "Hotel Rwanda", "Bullworth", "Colors", etc.) have been preparing what he has called his grand film statement for many years - an exagerrated biopic on the life and times of the great Miles Davis which he has both directed and plays the lead in. He has worked closely with the Davis estate and looking at the trailer it seems he is definitely getting Miles' mannerisms and even trumpet playing on point, so who cares if he doesn't look just like him. I've been waiting eagerly for this project for about a year and a half or whenever it was first announced but it has already gone up on a few film festivals where it mostly has received rave reviews, and as you can see by the trailer it looks pretty amazing. It's not one of those cheap ass biopics (like Andre 3000's Hendrix movie) where they couldn't clear ANY of the artists music - this one is full of lovely background drops from a large chunk of Miles' many classic sessions. I for one can't wait!


Check out the trailer up top, and peep the the banging "U-Turnaround" joint recorded in 1973 right above to see how close Miles was to reaching the full-on hip-hop aestheatic even back in the early '70s. The film is set to hit theaters on April 1, 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment